So, I have enjoyed my stay in the Dominican sooooo much that I found a job and have decided to stay for a whole year!
OK.... I really wish that's what I could write, but as you all know school starts soon and I have to get back home to teach (I really do miss the little ones in G-bury).
This week has been a lot of fun. In my English classes I have been teaching the students (both the children and adults) about American culture. We have been looking at pictures of the four seasons, listening to music, learning about U.S. currency and, the best part of the week, trying Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches! At first the kids thought the idea of peanut butter and jelly together was completely disgusting, but after they tried it they couldn't stop asking for more!
I'm still learning a lot about Dominican Culture and even though I've been here for almost two months it still seems like I see something new every day. In case I've never taken the time to share with you some of the new things I've seen on this trip - here's just a few: cars and motos driving the wrong way down the streets, tons of people squished in a car made for 5, women selling fruit from buckets balanced on their heads, toddlers walking around the streets alone at night, machetes used as an everyday tool, people using umbrellas on a perfectly beautiful sunny day, some of the worlds best food, and so much more.
Well, I have to run - but I'll be back in the States next Wednesday. So give me a call if you want to get together.
Miss you all,
~d
Great News!
Thursday, August 14, 2008Posted by Dorie Conlon at 8:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mis fotos
Subscribe to my Blog
By submitting your email address, you will receive email messages each time I update my Blog.
Random Travel Survey
What countries have you visited?
Spain, France, England
What is your favorite city?
Granada, Spain
What's the coolest thing you've done in another city?
I recently jumped out of a plane in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Do you prefer hotels or hostels?
Depends on the kind of trip.
Have you ever met up with friends in a different country?
Yes, but I prefer to meet new friends in different countries.
What's the largest group you've traveled with?
My study abroad group in college.
How old were you when you went on your first plane ride?
3rd grade - to Florida.
What's your favorite part about traveling?
The excitement building up around the trip and experiencing something completely foreign.
Do you pack light?
Lighter than anyone else you know.
When did you get your passport?
When I was 18.
When is the most recent time you've been out of the country?
In February I took a group of kids to Madrid.
When is the last time you've been on a plane?
Went to California for the weekend with my aunt two weeks ago.
Do you prefer the city, beach or mountains?
Mountains!!!
What place have you returned to most?
Spain, almost every year since I first went there.
What place would you most like to visit?
Machu Picchu, Peru
Who is your dream travel companion?
My future children.
Spain, France, England
What is your favorite city?
Granada, Spain
What's the coolest thing you've done in another city?
I recently jumped out of a plane in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Do you prefer hotels or hostels?
Depends on the kind of trip.
Have you ever met up with friends in a different country?
Yes, but I prefer to meet new friends in different countries.
What's the largest group you've traveled with?
My study abroad group in college.
How old were you when you went on your first plane ride?
3rd grade - to Florida.
What's your favorite part about traveling?
The excitement building up around the trip and experiencing something completely foreign.
Do you pack light?
Lighter than anyone else you know.
When did you get your passport?
When I was 18.
When is the most recent time you've been out of the country?
In February I took a group of kids to Madrid.
When is the last time you've been on a plane?
Went to California for the weekend with my aunt two weeks ago.
Do you prefer the city, beach or mountains?
Mountains!!!
What place have you returned to most?
Spain, almost every year since I first went there.
What place would you most like to visit?
Machu Picchu, Peru
Who is your dream travel companion?
My future children.
2 comments:
Wait til you come back - they painted the halls and office walls at Naubuc - pastels of green, blue and pink! I think Kent wants a magnet to put on the filing cabinet in the office...
Heard there was some weather down DR way. Hope you were safe during the storm. Been good reading ya.
Take care,
Stands-with-a-guitar
Post a Comment